Saturday, July 16, 2016

Mordikaar Vs. Dr. Arkadius: Academic Throw Down


 Battle Report!

Mordikaar Vs Dr. Arkadius:
So initially my Mordikaar list was a bit different, including a cannoneer instead of the legends, Orin, and the second void spirit. Today I saw a list online that used the Legends, though, and figured I'd try them out. Sadly, this meant my plan of running five heavies with Mordikaar would have to be tabled.

NOTE:
For today's game the role of Despoiler will be played by Bluebug. I have had some weird issues with my Despoiler model in the past, with him having spent about 8 months without a base, and now that I finally put him back on one I don't quite know where he went...


War Room Army

Skorne - Kaar Bomb

Theme: No Theme Selected
75 / 75 Army


Void Seer Mordikaar - WB: +29
-    Despoiler - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
-    Titan Gladiator - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)
-    Bronzeback Titan - PC: 18
-    Titan Sentry - PC: 15

Paingiver Bloodrunner Master Tormentor - PC: 4
Void Spirit - PC: 4
Void Spirit - PC: 4
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5

Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Paingiver Bloodrunners - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
Legends of Halaak - Valgesh, CIdaar & J'Deth: 8

---

GENERATED : 07/17/2016 17:43:11
BUILD ID : 2022.16-07-07




Thoughts:
Mordikaar meshes really well with our best infantry hate, Bloodrunners and Void Spirits, meaning I could bring him with a very heavy battlegroup and still be able to handle lots of infantry. I think a Bronzeback is key with him, as it negates the need for fury management most turns (unless you devote a heavy, at which point I assume it is lost anyway). The paingivers were there mostly to give +2 str when I needed to send a heavy off to do work, leveraging our ability to piece trade really well heavy for heavy, and running 4 of them to make sure I could survive a few losses and still hit like a truck. Host of Shadows also makes it possible to ignore a lot of jamming tech and get the trades going in our favor.

My opponent dropped:
Minion Army - 75 / 75 points

http://conflictchamber.com/#bb1benaLaLfn9Bd29Z6UaZaZ6_3Ncj

(Arkadius 1) Dr. Arkadius [+32]
 - War Hog [15]
 - War Hog [15]
 - Road Hog [16]
 - Gorax Rager [7]
 - Targ [4]
Rorsh [15]
 - Brine
 - Splatter Boar [8]
 - Gun Boar [9]
 - Gun Boar [9]
Swamp Gobber Chef [1]
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress [3]
Farrow Bone Grinders (min) [5]


We rolled, I won, I got to go first.

ROUND 1!

To start things off, I ran up  to go for a hard scenario play, figuring I could shield the scenario with my feat and start grabbing points top of 3. Titan brick went up the middle, to help mitigate fury problems. Orin hung out near Mordikaar, just in case.



My opponent advanced up, and took a lot of shots. I did lose a single blood runner (I was hoping to lose more), but his AOE's failed him.

ROUND 2!

I run around to help screen the flags, and pop feat. Arcane Suppression and Manifest Void go up. I expect to lose a few models, but I'm strongly contesting both flags and have ridiculous defense all over. I also revived a blood runner.

My opponent runs his heavies up to contest, making use of bulldoze to get in on the blood runners. He kills a few more guys with AOE's, including my master tormentor. Defense and stealth don't matter with High Explosive ammunition. He also pops a void spirit with Primal Shock, which left his War Hog a little bit too exposed.

ROUND 3!

The legends flip out and kill the exposed war hog, slamming him into a house and putting the hurt on him. My Sentry charges the road hog to engage, and does some decent damage (that won't matter, thanks to Psycho Surgery). Despoiler gets enraged and pops the other War Hog. Blood Runners go around and annoy the crap out of his shooting package (eventually I want to essence blast them over Rorsch, but I keep failing to get the activation order right). I get 2 control points.

Brine kills Despoiler, hard (he got a 22 on 4 dice for damage). I lose the last of my blood runners. The sentry gets hit by the road hog and bone grinders for a bit of damage, and they start to contest.

ROUND 4!

I cut for 4 (did you know bone grinders can remove your fury?). Legends kill the Road Hog, slamming it into my Sentry for the additional die on combo smite, and side-stepping back to control the flag (I love these guys so much right now). Bronzeback kills a bone grinder.  Mordikaar rushes the gladiator, throws up Host of Shadows, moves up a bit, and shoots and kills 2 bone grinders.Void spirit walks up and smacks Brine, doing decent damage. Gladiator decides he's tired of sitting back, and charges over the fence to kill Brine. No heavies left, my opponent concedes (A Magic Tournament is about to start). I just needed the Sentry to walk up and kill the objective to go up to 5 control points.




Thoughts:

Mordikaar is almost definitely going into my pairing at this point, Manifest Void was great, Hollow and Revive were useful for keeping the flag secured, and Host of Shadows might have gotten some play if his gun didn't take out the two jamming models. My heavies behaved like Skorne heavies, getting the trades going early and being bawss (Note: Host of Shadows is yet another great piece of anti-infantry tech as well, as it lets you choose otherwise risky trample lanes). Legends were fantastic, taking out two heavies for me and being absurd hard-hitting infantry. The Master Tormentor didn't perform very much, but that probably comes down to a lack of infantry and my opponent staying back. I won't be taking 2 of them, but 1 will most likely stay in my list due to previous experience. Oddly the void spirits just camped flags. I felt okay with this. Into just about any other minions list, they'd have ripped apart scores of infantry, and having an incorporeal model that can camp flags is worthwhile anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Great Writeup!

    Mordikaar is definitely still one of our effective and fun Warlocks. Looking forward to more reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love your blog, it was a huge help when I was starting Skorne.

      Delete